5 Good Reasons to see The Improv Conspiracy – Introducing The Harold
The Improv Conspiracy is a Melbourne based improvised comedy group who work in the hot-right-now ”Chicago-style” improvisation, currently experiencing a renaissance in cities like NYC and LA. This Fringe season they are demonstrating a classic Chicago format known as “The Harold”.
1. This is not the standard improv that you’re used to. We don’t play silly games or prance around with outrageous accents trying to make you like us. In the Harold format we make whip-smart scenes and create patterns that pay off by the end of the show in unique and entertaining ways.
2. Every show is completely different. What you see on Wednesday will be completely different from what your friend might see on Thursday. This can become addictive: in our first week we had one guy who came to 3 of our 4 shows, and apparently he’s coming back tonight!
3. We’re the only ones in Melbourne working exclusively on The Harold format. The next closest city to check one out might be Los Angeles. The price of a ticket to our show is about 1% the price of that plane ticket. Do the maths!
4. People are saying kind words about us! The Festival Nerd blog says “Since this one is obviously going to be entirely new every night, I’m hoping to go back a few times. Definitely recommended if you like improv, or comedy in any form. It’s loads of fun.” [source: http://festivalnerd.wordpress.
5. If you like the show, we’ll teach you how to do it! Some of our members have only been improvising for 4 months, and we’re constantly running new workshops to get people involved. We perform year-round, so you could potentially be up on stage within a few months. Comedy Festival, anyone?
The Improv Conspiracy’s show Introducing The Harold is at The Croft Institute. Details about the show can be found at the Melbourne Fringe Website: http://www.melbournefringe.com.au/fringe-festival/show/the-improv-conspiracy/
Details about the group can be found at http://www.improvconspiracy.