This year for Melbourne Fringe Rob Lloyd (Who, Me and Ch 31’s Live on Bowen) is teaming up with new, up and comer Kelsey Gade to present the ultimate cinematic/literature mash-up…PRIDE HARD…Die Hard in the style of Pride and Prejudice.
1. This is a completely different approach to the ‘mash-up’ format! I’ve done enough scenes, sketches and whole shows where we take something ‘classical’ and do a ‘modernized’ version of it, either through the genres of action, sci-fi or stuff like that. I wanted to take a risk this year and see if I could pull off a ‘modern’ story on a ‘classical’ style! It’s been great working with both Kelsey and Scott Gooding on this show.
2. All the characters are so great…it’s been so much fun throwing them all ‘into the pot’ as it were and seeing how they play together! From ‘wise guy’ hero John McClane to the ultimate suave bad guy Hans Gruber! From the creepy Mr Collins, the over the top hysterics of Mrs Bennet to the silly, giddy Kitty and Lydia. Two worlds really collide…but also somehow weirdly work.
3. You don’t have to be a Die Hard fan or a Pride and Prejudice lover to like the show…the story and the characters speak for themselves. Plus there are enough other pop culture references; from Harry Potter, South Park, Dr Who, Star Wars and the Disney movies to keep you interested!
4. It’s an extremely high energy show! Trying to cram a two hour film, a 367 page book and roughly 20 characters into under an hour takes quite a lot of stamina. On top of all that, the show is just two actors on stage creating the entire world with their bodies, voices and interactions. You won’t see this type of stuff on ‘The Shire’.
5. Basically it’s a show with everything: love, drama, comedy, action, dance, song…plus two performers in singlets…what more could you want in a Melbourne Fringe show?
Pride Hard is running til the 13th of Oct at The Meeting Room. North Melbourne Town Hall.
Tuesday to Staurday at 8pm. Sundays at 7pm.
To buy tickets go to: http://www.melbournefringe.com.au/fringe-festival/show/pride-hard/
Or for more information about the show go to: http://pridehard.com.au/